While mental health is a critical component of our overall health, it has only recently received more focus and research attention. Mental health issues can affect anyone, regardless of age, gender or socio-economic status. Unfortunately, stigma and discrimination have significantly hindered the ability of those suffering with mental illness to be able to access resources. This barrier means that many people who are impacted by mental illness go without adequate treatment.
Nurses are typically at the forefront of offering assistance to those struggling with mental illness. It is important to be equipped with the right knowledge and skills to guarantee the best possible outcomes for patients.
For more information/resources regarding psychiatric nursing:
- Comprehensive Mental Health Action Plan 2013-2030: The 66th World Health Assembly adopted this action plan; it calls for a change in the attitudes that perpetuate the stigma and discrimination that have isolated people living with mental illness.
- Mental Disorders: Mental disorders comprise a broad range of issues; this WHO resource explains what they are and how to manage the various symptoms. Examples of mental disorders are schizophrenia, depression, intellectual disabilities and disorders due to drug abuse.
- WHO Guidelines: These guidelines are primarily intended for use by healthcare workers providing services for people with mental disorders in primary health facilities, specialist facilities and hospitals. They focus on the management of physical health conditions in adults with severe mental disorders.
- Journal of Depression and Anxiety: This is an open access journal that aims to publish the most complete and reliable information on depression and anxiety for use by healthcare practitioners and researchers.
- Journal of Psychiatry: This journal publishes research from all areas of psychiatry in order to promote a more comprehensive understanding of mental health and generate open discussions amongst professors, students and medical professionals.
- Investing in Mental Health Report: This WHO report outlines how to create strategies that can be utilized by governments and other stakeholders to reshape social attitudes and public policy surrounding mental health.