Mental Health is one of the key areas of health that is more often than not ignored.Mental health issues can affect anyone.,varying from adolescents,adults,people in power,employees etc.In the past,stigma and discrimination have been the key factors that have been associated with mental health issues.This makes many affected persons to shy away from seeking assistance for dealing with the presenting symptoms.
Nurses are always at the forefront of offering assistance to the affected persons.It is thus important to be equipped with the right knowledge and skills that will yield the best outcomes.Some key resources that can come in handy include:
- Comprehensive mental health Action Plan 2013-2030:This action plan was adopted by the 66th World Health Assembly.It calls for a change in the attitudes that perpetuate stigma and discrimination that have isolated people since ancient times, and it calls for an expansion of services in order to promote greater efficiency in the use of resources.
- Suicide prevention
- Mental Disorders:Mental disorders comprise a broad range of problems, with different symptoms.Examples are schizophrenia, depression, intellectual disabilities and disorders due to drug abuse. Most of these disorders can be successfully treated.
- Mental health challenges and possible solutions
- WHO guidelines: Management of physical health conditions in adults with severe mental disorders.The Guidelines are primarily intended for use by health-care workers providing services for people with severe mental disorders at all levels – in primary health facilities, specialist facilities and hospitals. Policy-makers and health-care planners at local and national levels, mental health programme managers and people living with severe mental disorders and their families will also find them usefu
- Journal of Depression and Anxiety:This is an open access journal that aims to publish the most complete and reliable source of information for practitioners and researchers globally.
- Journal of Psychiatry:Here you will be able to get everything in the field of psychiatry and the subsequent management of the conditions.
- Investing in Mental Health Report:This report by the World Health Organisation(WHO) aims at empasizing the ways and models to better formulate concrete steps that governments and other stakeholders can take to reshape social attitudes and public policy around mental health.